Yesterday, the voters of Fairfax County overwhelmingly supported a $100 million bond measure to fund a variety of transportation projects in the county, including many pedestrian, bicycle and Safe Routes to School projects! The bond measure includes $77.5 million in pedestrian projects, $6.5 million in bike projects, and $16 million in spot road projects.
Approximately $17.5 million will go towards projects near the following schools in Fairfax County:
- Annandale High School: Medford Drive Walkway
- Belle View Elementary School: Fort Hunt Road Walkway
- Chesterbrook Elementary School: Kirby Road Walkway Improvements
- Fairhill Elementary School: Chichester Lane Walkway
- Glen Forest Elementary School: Glen Forest Drive Walkway
- Hayfield Secondary School: Telegraph Road
- Longfellow Middle School: Westmoreland Street Walkway
- Mount Vernon High School: Old Mount Vernon Road Walkway
- South Lakes High School–Langston Hughes Middle School: South Lakes Drive Walkways
- Stratford Landing Elementary School: Riverside Road Walkway
- South County High School: Silverbrook Road Walkway
- West Potomac High School: Quander Avenue Walkway
- West Springfield High School: Center Road Walkway
- West Springfield High School: Rolling Road Walkway
Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling has a full list of the bicycle projects here.
This is a significant victory for safe walking and bicycling in Fairfax County, and comes on the heels of last’s weeks unanimous approval of the Fairfax County Bicycle Master Plan! There is still a lot of work to be done in implementing these projects, but things are certainly moving forward in Fairfax County!
More information on the bond measure is available here.